The city laid EMS Capt. Alison Russo-Elling to rest Wednesday, days after an apparently mentally ill assailant stabbed her to death in a random attack. But the madness continued in those few days. With each passing day, violent crime and chaos threaten to overtake the Big Apple.
- Early Sunday, a gang of green goblins — women in full-body neon green leotards and hoods — assaulted and robbed two teen girls on a Times Square subway train.
- On a 4 train in The Bronx, a trio of teens punched and robbed a straphanger of his cellphone and wallet.
- A Brooklyn bodega worker and another woman were hurt when a man opened fire into a busy supermarket.
- Two bullets from a Harlem gunfight hit a retired NYPD detective Tuesday.
- Teen gunmen fired 10 shots at the MetroTech Center near NYU’s Downtown Brooklyn campus, prompting lockdowns at several public schools.
It’s a toxic brew of multiple dysfunctions: madmen roaming the streets, gangbanging kids who know the Raise the Age law gives them free license and other serial perps protected by the no-bail laws.
The NYPD has managed to bring shootings down, but overall crime and chaos surge on. Gov. Kathy Hochul’s solution? “Gun-violence listening tours” and similar nonsense.
Hochul won’t call out Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie, Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins and their allies for flat-out refusing to fix the state’s disastrous criminal-justice “reforms.” And they all flip off Mayor Eric Adams when he speaks the truth.
New York desperately needs a governor, and legislators, who will stand against the madness. It’s every sane citizen’s duty to help vote the pro-lunacy crew out of power.