How to download and install iPadOS 15.6.1 on your iPad
What’s new in iPadOS 15?
Apple releases iPadOS 15.6.1 to the public
Apple has released iPadOS 15.6.1 to the public. The latest update addresses a couple of security vulnerabilities that Apple says were actively exploited in the wild, so users should download the update soon. The full list of issues addressed are below:
- An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.
- Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.
Apple releases iPadOS 15.6 to the public
Apple has released iPadOS 15.6 with bug fixes. The minor update includes information for iCloud and Matter, according to the release notes (opens in new tab).
How to install the iPadOS update using Software Update on your iPad
The easiest way for most people to download an update to iPadOS is over-the-air, directly on their device. It’s fast, it’s efficient, and it’s simple to do.
- Make sure you have a recent iCloud backup.
- Launch Settings from your Home screen.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install.
- Enter your Passcode, if prompted.
- Tap Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Tap Agree again to confirm.
The download will begin automatically. If the download does not begin right away, you may see a notice: “Preparing to download.” Give it a couple of minutes and the download will begin shortly.
How to install an iPadOS update using your Mac
If you have limited space on your device or software update isn’t working for whatever reason, you can update using Finder on your Mac.
- Make sure you have a recent backup. Make it encrypted so all of your passwords and other private data is preserved.
- Plug your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in using your USB to Lightning cable.
- In Finder, click on the device icon at the top left to go to the device tab.
- Click on Check for Update in the Summary pane.
- Click on Download and Update
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Enter the Passcode on your iPhone or iPad, if prompted.
How to install an iPadOS update over the developer or public beta
You can install the public version of iPadOS over a beta version if your device is still running that version. Here’s how to update from an iOS or iPadOS beta to the official release.