How to download and install iOS 15.6 on your iPhone
Apple has just released iOS 15.6 to the public. The new version includes minor updates for iCloud and Matter. Beyond this, however, not much has changed (opens in new tab).
How to install the iOS update using Software Update on your iPhone
The easiest way for most people to download iOS is over-the-air, directly on their device. It’s fast, it’s efficient, and it’s simple to do.
- Make sure you have a recent iCloud backup.
- Launch Settings from your Home screen.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install.
- Enter your Passcode, if prompted.
- Tap Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Tap Agree again to confirm.
The download will begin automatically. If the download does not begin right away, you may see a notice: “Preparing to download.” Give it a couple of minutes and the download will begin shortly.
How to install the iOS update using your Mac
If you have limited space on your device or software update isn’t working for whatever reason, you can update using your Mac.
- Make sure you have a recent backup. Make it encrypted so all of your passwords and other private data is preserved.
- Plug your iPhone or iPod touch in using your USB to Lightning or USB to 30-pin Dock cable.
- Under Finder, click on the device icon at the top left to go to the device tab.
- Click on Check for Update in the Summary pane.
- Click on Download and Update
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Enter the Passcode on your iPhone or iPod touch, if prompted.
How to install the iOS update over the developer or public beta
You can install the public version of this iOS update over a beta version if your device is still running that version. Here’s a guide on how to update from an iOS beta to the official release.